Reading: Exodus 20:8-11
Sermon: John 5:9-16
1) What is legalism? How is it different from a zeal for obedience?
2) In what ways are the Pharisees similar to the "multitudes" by the pool at Bethesda?
3) What is the significance of Jesus finding the man in the temple (v. 14)?
4) Would the man be able to "sin no more" (v.14; consider also 1st John 1:8)? If not, why would Jesus issue this warning?
5) Why is the Christian Sabbath (i.e., the Lord's Day) on the first day of the week, rather than the last day (Saturday)?